Thursday 4 August 2011

Go watch 'The Creators'

I think I'm loozing my Kanadien akcent. I'm not too worried though. Earlier, I was worried about losing the French that I've picked up in the past year. And then the universe sent a guy from the Comoros to talk to me. And then a lost couple from France.
Then recently, I was missing art - those tourist trap murals do not cut it. Once again, not something I expected to miss in this part of the world. (Re: missing music - I watched a South African film at ZIFF called 'The Creators' about musicians in the Cape Flats, making sense of what is essentially a post-apartheid cultural and intellectual wasteland. One of the musicians made a good point: "Music is squashed here. The Americans, they send weapons but no instruments!") I wondered where I could find art supplies in Zanzibar. Then, the universe sent along an opportunity to help with an Early Learning Childhood group's painting project for a week. I'll take what I get.

Also, I'm really glad I put random music from everyone I meet on my iPod. It's given me a chance to 'discover some new bands' without a record store or decent internet connection in sight.

The point? I'm sure I'll bump into some Canadian or American soon enough. The universe usually works itself out.

Edit: I haven't bumped into any Canadians or Americans yet, but I have bumped my head in so many places - twice on a daladala's roof, three times while leaving shops... Zanzibar was not built for big people. The doors may be beautiful, but I find myself turning sideways and ducking every time I walk through one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment