Thursday 4 August 2011

Shaggy

I just went to a Shaggy concert organized by ZIFF.
Yes, SHAGGY. Of all the random things I've seen in Zanzibar, this is one I'll never forget.
But of course there's a 6 hour wait before he arrives and then the power goes out as he's walking on stage. They eventually got a couple generators; one of which died halfway through the show - they eventually made do with half the instruments and just passed the mics around. Zanzibar is seriously 'local.' As a performer, he's actually pretty bad. Kuumba could have done a much better job with the dancing. Shaggy didn't even sing much - he had 3 others rotate in for him until he held a world premiere of his latest song - "Sugarcane." It definitely has nothing to do with the sugarcane juice you get here in Forodhani, and everything to do with his ego. It's so bad I won't even paste a link. We left the show at around 3am, but he apparently continued with his 2 hour encore until 4:30am. (I don't know how these Zanzibaris do it, but the clubs here open at 1am and close at 5.)
All in all, not a bad end to a film festival. And it only cost me 10 bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment